Randonnée n° 11 | Télécharger la brochure
Type de randonnée :
Durée : 1 heure
Distance : 3 km
Walk to an ancient windmill located at a height of 400m on a hill that was crossed in former times by a transhumance path (seasonal migration of livestock). Its location offers a magnificent view down to the sea.
Départ : Office de Tourisme
From the Tourist Information go towards the exit of the village dir. Grimaud. After the Chapel St Eloi go up the small road to the left, Chemin de l’Adrech – village de vacances. Cross the parkings and go down the dirt path behind the multisports field for about 300 m. At a small place with some electricity meters take the path winding its way up the hill to the left. On top you will see the windmill Adrech. Do not enter the place, look out for falling stones.
Get around the mill and take the forest path following the crest up to the Chemin des deux moulins (about 400 m). Go down this small road to the left for 100 m, leave it and take the dirt path to the left passing beneath some new houses. This path will arrive on the RD 75 (route du Plan de la Tour) after some 200 m. Take left for some 50 m and come to the parking near the sports ground.
Turn to the right and go along the Esplanade to return to the Tourist Information
The windmill Adrech was built between 1746 and 1776 and leased at this date for a ground rent by its owner, the honorable Clément Guillabert, surgeon of La Garde-Freinet. The tower was roughcast, the wings and the roof were built from pine and the millstone was made in one block from stone of Marseille.
The last known mention of the mill is made in a bill of sale from June 1841. A certain Tropez Ollivier, ancient flour-miller, is forced to sell it in order to pay his debts . The mill is bought by the baker of the village, Antoine Montagnac, against the sum of 2 400 francs and 8 kg of bread per week during his whole life. 20 years later the mill stops working once and for all.